"URQUHART, (and Logie Wester) a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It includes the detached district of Nairnshire, designated Ferintosh, and the villages of Conanbridge and Culbockie. It extends in length about 9 miles, by a breadth of about 3½ miles, and resembles in form a rectangle, extending from N.N.E. to S.S.W. It is bounded on the N.W. by the river Conan and the Cromarty Frith, which separates it from Urray, Fodderty, Dingwall, and Kiltearn. The surface is an inclined plane, gradually declining towards the Frith and the Conan. The land is fertile and well wooded. The prevailing rock is Old Red sandstone. On the moors stone coffins have been discovered. The parish is traversed by the great N. road across the S.W. corner, and by two roads across the Mullbuy towards Knockbain and Fortrose. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is about £201. The parish church was erected in 1795. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and two non-parochial schools. The principal seats are Ferintosh, Conanside, and Findon.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Urquhart from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Urquhart.