"URRAY, a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It comprises the quoad sacra parishes of Carnoch and Kinlochlychart, with the ancient parish of Kilchrist. It extends in length about 7 miles from N. to S., with a mean breadth of 3 miles, and is bounded on the W. and N. by Contin, on the E. by Urquhart and Killearnan, and on the S. by Kirkhill and Kilmorack. The surface is moderately even, and has a diversified aspect. The soil is of various qualities, but productive. In the vicinity are the ruins of Fairburn Tower, and pillar stones 5 feet in height near Beauly. The village of Urray is about 6 maes N.W. of Beauly, and has facilities for traffic both by land and water, owing to its proximity to Dingwall, Beauly, and Inverness. Salmon are caught in the rivers Orrin and Conan, and on the bank of the latter is a sulphurous spring. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the Ord distillery. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is about £252. The parish church is situated on the banks of the Orrin, near its confluence with the Conan. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and other schools. The principal seats are Brahan Castle, Highfield House, Ord House, Muirton House, and Tarradale."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Urray from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
Information about boundaries and administrative areas is available from A Vision of Britain through time.maps of Urray