URRAY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"URRAY, a parish in the district of Wester Ross, county Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. It comprises the quoad sacra parishes of Carnoch and Kinlochlychart, with the ancient parish of Kilchrist. It extends in length about 7 miles from N. to S., with a mean breadth of 3 miles, and is bounded on the W. and N. by Contin, on the E. by Urquhart and Killearnan, and on the S. by Kirkhill and Kilmorack. The surface is moderately even, and has a diversified aspect. The soil is of various qualities, but productive. In the vicinity are the ruins of Fairburn Tower, and pillar stones 5 feet in height near Beauly. The village of Urray is about 6 maes N.W. of Beauly, and has facilities for traffic both by land and water, owing to its proximity to Dingwall, Beauly, and Inverness. Salmon are caught in the rivers Orrin and Conan, and on the bank of the latter is a sulphurous spring. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the Ord distillery. This parish is in the presbytery of Dingwall and synod of Ross. The stipend of the minister is about £252. The parish church is situated on the banks of the Orrin, near its confluence with the Conan. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and other schools. The principal seats are Brahan Castle, Highfield House, Ord House, Muirton House, and Tarradale."
"KINLOCHLYCHART, a quoad sacra parish in the parishes of Contin, Fodderty, and Urray, county Ross, 5 miles S.W. of Dingwall. The living is in the presbytery of Dingwall and in the patronage of the crown."
"GILCHRIST, (or KILCHRIST) an ancient parish now united to Urray, county Ross, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]