Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the county of Roxburgh, 5½ miles in length, and from 1½ to 2 miles in breadth ... The village of Lillies-Leaf is situated on the great road from E. to W. through the S. of Scotland, and contains upwards of 400 inhabitants ... Population in 1801, 673."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.
A list of pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Bewlie cemetery is given in the following volume:
Gravestone inscriptions prior to 1855: Vol 2. Galashiels Old Cemetery, Ladhope and Bewlie Cemeteries
published by Selkirkshire Antiquarian Society, 1969 (listed in the LDS Family History Library catalogue in microfilm format, so hopefully available worldwide in LDS family history centres).
The creator of this pages is unsure of the exact location of this cemetery which may lie within Ancrum parish. Burials of people from both there and Lilliesleaf parish are listed.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1737. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Lilliesleaf which are provided by:
See The parish of Lilliesleaf by Rev Arthur Pollok Sym, published at Selkirk in 1913. The book is listed in the LDS Family History Library catalogue in microfilm format, so is hopefully available worldwide in LDS family history centres.
A number of articles on Lilliesleaf were published in the transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, all written by Rev James McKenzie:
- "Lilliesleaf and its old roads", 1947 transactions, pages 5-23
- "Lilliesleaf", 1949 transactions, pages 19-35
The National Records of Scotland holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:
- 1786: Farm plan of Bewliehill including names of adjacent lands and proprietors. Scale 1:2800. Size 74x53cm. Grid (map) reference NT5626. NRS reference RHP.3280
- post 1819: Plan of part of the Barony of Riddell and properties adjoining. Scale 1:10,300. Size 58x50cm. Grid (map) reference NT5124. NRS reference RHP.3606
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT532250 (Lat/Lon: 55.516535, -2.742711), Lilliesleaf which are provided by:
Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:
- 1755 - 521
- 1793 - 630
- 1801 - 672
- 1811 - 755
- 1821 - 779
- 1831 - 781
- 1861 - 772