"A parish in the county of Roxburgh, of a rectangular figure, 5½ miles long by 4½ broad. It lies on the N. bank of the Tweed, from which the surface rises by a gentle ascent to the northern boundary ... Population in 1801, 248."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.
There may have been other non-conformist churches at different times.
According to Rev. William Ewing's Annals of the Free Church of Scotland (published 1914 in Edinburgh) "at the Disruption  a group of Free Church adherents formed a congregation here". The 1848 membership of this congregation was 78; in 1900 it was 95.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1692. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
In the 1690s a tax was levied by Parliament on every hearth in Scotland. Both landowners and tenants had to pay this tax and are therefore recorded in the records which were kept at the time. A transcript of the hearth tax records for Makerstoun parish (NRS reference E69/21/1) is included with the list of monumental inscriptions published by the Borders Family History Society.