"DERNOCK, DARNICK, or DARNWICK, a post-office village, in the parish of Melrose, near the right bank of the Tweed, about a mile above the town of Melrose, Roxburghshire. It stands on the road from Edinburgh to Carlisle by way of Jedburgh, and on that between Melrose and Selkirk. Its appearance is smiling and comfortable, and indicates prosperity and content. It was one of the villages of the halidom of Melrose abbey, and still retains a massive tower of the 15th century, which seems to have belonged to some rich vassal of the abbot. Population in 1841, 280; in 1851, 348."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.