"GATTONSIDE, a post-office village in the parish of Melrose, Roxburghshire. It stands on the left bank of the Tweed, on the road from Drygrange to Galashiels, about a mile north of Melrose. Seen from a distance, it seems a little town luxuriating in an isolated grove, in the centre of one of the most brilliant landscapes in Scotland. But when entered, it is an aspersion of trees, detached houses, and patches of luxuriant orchard-ground ... Gattonside is celebrated for its orchards, and sends more fruit to market than any other place in the vale of Tweed, or perhaps any place of its size in Scotland. A large beautiful church once stood here, but can be traced now only by a few small vestiges. An elegant iron bridge spans the Tweed on the road hither to Melrose. Population, 252." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
by Anne E. Campbell
first published in 1966 and reprinted in 1987 by Meigle Printers, Market Street, Galashiels.
The Gattonside Village Website includes a history of the village.
The Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre has an admission register for Gattonside Primary School covering the years 1895-1941 (reference R/ED/3/13).
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.