"LADHOPE, a quod sacra parish on the north-west border of Roxburghshire. It was constituted by the Court of Teinds in 1855. It comprises part of the post-town of Galashiels, and the north-western part of the quod civilia parish of Melrose." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Note: Ladhope was transferred to Selkirkshire between 1871 and 1881.
The Borders Family History Society has published a CD of monumental inscriptions in Old Ladhope cemetery.
A list of inscriptions in Ladhope cemetery may be found in the following volume:
The LDS Family History Library catalogue also lists Cemetery inscriptions from Ladhope parish burying ground, Galashiels, Selkirkshire, Scotland, 19-20th century by Sidney Cramer. This is listed as available in microfilm format, so is hopefully available worldwide in LDS family history centres.
In addition, the Scottish Genealogy Society has several lists for Ladhope in its Edinburgh library.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1861 census returns for this parish.
Issue 20 (October 1992) of the Borders Family History Society magazine included the article "Know your parish - Ladhope" on pages 22-23.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.