"NEWSTEAD, a village in the parish of Melrose, Roxburghshire. It stands on the right bank of the Tweed, about a mile east of the town of Melrose, on the road thence to Lauder. The scenery around it is exquisitely beautiful. Near it is a Roman camp, upwards of 1¾ mile in circumference."
From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
Allan Wilson's Roman and Native in the Central Scottish Borders (British Archaeological Reports British Series 519, 2010) examines interactions between Romans and native society in Roxburghshire, Peeblesshire and Selkirkshire. It includes an inventory of Roman-era archaeological finds in this part of the Borders, as well as plans and sketches of archaeological sites and finds. Its ISBN is 9781407307220. The book was sponsored by The Trimontium Trust.