Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Minto

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.


"MINTO, a parish, containing the villages of Minto and Hassendean, in Roxburghshire. Its post-town is Denholm, adjacent to its south-eastern border. It is bounded by Lilliesleaf, Ancrum, Bedrule, Cavers, Wilton, and a detached part of Selkirkshire. Its length eastward is 5¾ miles; and its greatest breadth is 3 miles. The river Teviot, flowing over numerous fords, along a pebbly bed, and between banks singularly varied and highly picturesque, runs ... generally along the southern and south-eastern boundary". From the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.


Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.


Presbyterian / Unitarian
Minto, Church of Scotland

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Minto area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

The following quotation comes from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published in 1868. This reference was found in volume II, page 426:

"The present parish of Minto comprehends the ancient parish of Minto which was a rectory, and part of the ancient parish of Hassendean."

Rev. William Ewing's Annals of the Free Church of Scotland (published 1914 in Edinburgh) notes that the Free Church congregation at Denholm "was formed in the autumn of 1843 by adherents of the Free Church from the parishes of Minto, Bedrule, and Cavers". He notes the membership of this congregation in 1848 as 185; by 1900 it was 174.


Church Records

The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1703. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).


Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the National Records of Scotland website.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Minto which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Minto to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


1868, Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published by A. Fullarton and Co

"HASSENDEAN, or HAZELDEAN, a suppressed parish, containing a hamlet of its own name, on the left bank of the Teviot, opposite Cavers, Roxburghshire. The surface is so gently beautiful as to have made the bosoms of tuneful poets throb, and drawn from them some of their sweetest numbers. What par excellence constitutes Hassendean, and gave name to the ancient church and the whole parish, is a winding dell, not much different in its curvatures from the letter S, narrow and varied in its bottom, gurgling and mirthful in the streamlet which threads it, rapid and high in its sides which are alternately smooth, undulating, and broken, - richly and variedly sylvan in hollow, acclivity, and summit, - and coiled so snugly amid a little expanse of forest, overlooked by neighbouring picturesque heights, that a stranger stands upon its brow, and is transfixed with the sudden revelation of its beauties, before he has a suspicion of its existence. Near its mouth some neat cottages peep out from among its thick foliage, on the margin of its stream; on the summit of its right bank are the umbrageous grounds which were famed for upwards of a century, as the nursery-gardens of Mr Dickson, the parent-nurseries of those which beautify the vicinity of Hawick, Dumfries, Perth, and Edinburgh, and either directly or remotely the feeders of nearly one-half of the existing plantations of Scotland. The dell, at its mouth, comes exultingly out on one of the finest landscapes of the Teviot. The river, on receiving its rill, is just half-way on a semicircular sweep of about ¾ of a mile in length; on the side next the dell, it has a steep and wooded bank; and on the side which the dell confronts, a richly luxuriant haugh occupies the foreground, the rolling and many-shaped rising grounds of Cavers, profusely adorned with trees, occupy the centre, and the naked frowning form of Rubberslaw cuts a rugged sky-line in the perspective.

(See more)


Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

  • 1755 - 396
  • 1801 - 477
  • 1811 - 514
  • 1821 - 472
  • 1831 - 481
  • 1861 - 430