GENUKI Home page
Up Roxburghshire Contents Contents

Minto

View a Map of the Area.
"MINTO, a parish, containing the villages of Minto and Hassendean, in Roxburghshire. Its post-town is Denholm, adjacent to its south-eastern border. It is bounded by Lilliesleaf, Ancrum, Bedrule, Cavers, Wilton, and a detached part of Selkirkshire. Its length eastward is 5 3/4 miles; and its greatest breadth is 3 miles. The river Teviot, flowing over numerous fords, along a pebbly bed, and between banks singularly varied and highly picturesque, runs ... generally along the southern and south-eastern boundary"
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.

Census

Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.

Church History

The following quotation comes from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published in 1868. This reference was found in volume II, page 426:

"The present parish of Minto comprehends the ancient parish of Minto which was a rectory, and part of the ancient parish of Hassendean."

Rev. William Ewing's Annals of the Free Church of Scotland (published 1914 in Edinburgh) notes that the Free Church congregation at Denholm "was formed in the autumn of 1843 by adherents of the Free Church from the parishes of Minto, Bedrule, and Cavers". He notes the membership of this congregation in 1848 as 185; by 1900 it was 174.

Church Records

The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1703. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).

Civil Registration

Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.

Maps

The National Archives of Scotland holds the following as part of its collection of maps and plans:

Population

Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

Find help, report problems, and contribute information.


Page created by Vivienne S Dunstan.
Last updated: 9th September 2011

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1995-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.