Open a form to report problems or contribute information
Morebattle: Church History
The following quotation comes from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published in 1868. This reference was found in volume II, pp 462-463:
"The present parish of Morebattle comprehends the ancient parishes of Morebattle and Moll or Mow. Merebotle, which is the old orthography of the name, means, in Anglo-Saxon, 'the dwelling place at the marsh', and alludes to the ancient circumjacency of marshy ground at the site of the village. The church of Merebotle belonged in some manner to the cathedral of Glasgow so early as the 12th century, but was the subject of sharp controversy as to the right to its temporalities ... There were anciently two chapels int he parish, - the one at Clifton on Bowmont-water, the other at Whitton, now called Nether-Whitton. The Moll - meaning in the British 'a bare, bald or naked hill' - included the highest grounds, or southern and south-eastern parts of the parish. See the article Moll."
The entry for Moll appeared on page 430 of the same volume:
"MOLL, an ancient parish, now comprehended in Morebattle, on the eastern border of Roxburghshire. It comprises the upper part of the basin of Bowmont-water, adjacent to the English border, 12 miles south-south-east of Kelso. The church and village of Moll stood upon the Bowmont; and there is even now, on the banks of that mountain-stream, a hamlet, commonly known by the corrupted name of Mow-haugh; and a little lower may be seen the ruins of Mow-kirk."