"A parish in the counties of Roxburgh and Selkirk, situated at the western extremities of these shires, where they march with that of Dumfries. It is estimated to extend 13 miles in length, and 6 in breadth, watered by the little river Borthwick, and the river Ale, beside several small lakes which give rise to these streams. The general appearance is hilly; but none of the eminences are of extraordinary elevation. From the banks of the rivers the surface rises by a gentle ascent; and the low grounds, except where beautified with planting, are in a state of cultivation. The higher grounds afford excellent pasture, interspered with considerable patches of moss ... There are several remains of encampments and fortifications: one large square encampment, well fortified, bears the name of Africa, communicating with one of a semicircular form. Population in 1801, 618."
From the Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.