We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Roberton: Church History
The following quotation comes from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson and published in 1868. This reference was found in volume II, p.658:
"The ancient parish was called Borthwick; and its church stood at a place formerly named Kirk-Borthwick, but now named Borthwick-brae. In 1682, there were annexed to it part of the suppressed parish of Hassendean, a small detached portion of the parish of Selkirk, and some specific sections of the adjoining parishes of Hawick and Wilton; and about 1750, the church for the united districts was built at Roberton, 1 1/2 mile north-east of Kirk-Borthwick, and imposed the name of its site upon the extended parish. A chapel anciently stood on the right bank of the Borthwick, in the Hassendean district, and belonged, like its parent church, to the monks of Melrose, and was served by a chaplain from their establishment."
Further information on Hassendean is available, including an account of the troubles which surrrounded the establishment of Roberton parish in the late 17th century. Further background on this and other aspects of Roberton parish can be found in George O. Wood's Roberton: The Making of a Parish, published by Hawick Archaeological Society in 1992. This continues the story of the parish, including the building of a new church in 1864, and more recent developments.