"TEVIOTHEAD, a parish, containing a post-office station of its own name, on the south-west border of Roxburghshire. It is bounded by Dumfries-shire, and by the parishes of Roberton, Hawick, Cavers, and Castleton. It was erected in 1850 out of the parishes of Hawick and Cavers. It is all an upland region, drained by the head-streams of the Teviot. Population in 1861, 438."
View a Map of the Area.
from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
See James C Bonsor's article on "Teviothead old churchyard" in the 1940 transactions of Hawick Archaeological Society, pages 53-57.
The 1841 census for Teviothead is missing.
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1851 and 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1824. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the General Register Office for Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Archives of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. For further details of this see the General Register Office for Scotland website.
For information on Mosspaul, see "Mosspaul and its associations" by James Edgar, published in the 1933 transactions of Hawick Archaeological Society, pages 8-14.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.