Over the centuries parishes in Roxburghshire have changed and evolved: some parishes have changed name and others have been absorbed into one or more other parishes.
The list of parishes on the main Roxburghshire county page lists the well-known Church of Scotland parishes in existence by 1855. Some of these parishes were themselves very ancient, but others were of more recent origin. This page lists the ancient parishes which had "vanished" by 1855, either through a simple change of name, or the parish being absorbed into one or more other parishes. This list may not be complete, and comments or additions would be gratefully received.
Each entry in the list gives the name of an ancient parish and the name of the parish(es) which replaced it. Further information on the ancient parish's history may be available on its successor parish page(s) under Church History.