Directories can be very useful for finding out about the history
of a town or village, or finding references to forebears in the past.
Like many parts of Scotland, Roxburghshire was covered by national
directories such as Pigots, Slaters etc. Full details of these can
be found in publications such as:
- British Directories: A Bibliography and Guide to Directories
published in England and Wales (1850-1950) and Scotland (1773-1950)
by Gareth Shaw and Allison Tipper, published by Leicester
University Press, 1988. ISBN 0-7185-1292-8
To help Roxburghshire researchers, here are details of some of the more local
directories covering the Roxburghshire area:
- Pigot's 1825-6 directory for the whole of Scotland (including Roxburghshire), reproduced on CD-ROM by Archive CD Books
- Pigot's 1837 directory for Roxburghshire, reproduced on microfiche by Nick Vine Hall, available from Gould Genealogy in Australia. In the UK the company Stepping Stones has released an 1837 directory CD including Berwickshire, Banffshire (extreme north of Scotland), Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire and Selkirkshire, although I do not know if this is the same Pigot's directory as available on microfiche.
- The Southern Counties Register and Directory for Roxburgh, Berwick & Selkirk
Published by J & J.H. Rutherfurd in Kelso, 1866.
In addition to providing considerable detail about each parish,
many residents and tradesmen are listed, as well as societies, burgh officers etc.
The book was republished in a facsimile edition in 1990
by the Borders Regional Library, Selkirk, Scotland.
A microfilm version of the 1990 reprint is listed in the LDS Family History Library catalogue (listed in the catalogue under Scotland - Berwick/Roxburgh/Selkirk - Almanacs/Directories, so it is hopefully available worldwide in LDS family history centres.
A microfiche facsimile edition (covering ROX and SEL) has been published
by Nick Vine Hall of Australia, and is available from
Gould Genealogy in
Australia. The counties are separated out in this edition.
- Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire, Peeblesshire and Berwickshire Business Directory, published in 1893 by C. Lamburn at Edinburgh.
- The Border Counties ... Business Directory, published in
1897 by C. Lamburn at Glasgow.
- Edinburgh and South of Scotland Trades Directory
published in 1900 by Trades' Directories Ltd. at Edinburgh. This
covers Edinburgh and the counties of Berwickshire, East Lothian,
West Lothian, Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire and Selkirkshire.
- Murray's Edinburgh & South East of Scotland Trades Directory
published in 1935 and 1936 by the Mercantile and Commercial Directory Ltd., Glasgow.
This includes Berwickshire, Midlothian, Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire,
Selkirkshire, East Lothian and West Lothian.
Copies of some of these will be available in local libraries in the
Scottish Borders, including the Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre in Hawick. Copies will also be available
in the National Library of Scotland
in Edinburgh and other large libraries around Scotland and Britain.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Page created by Vivienne S Dunstan.
Last updated: 13th April 2011
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1995-2014
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.