"KIRKHOPE, an ancient parish in Selkirkshire. It was incorporated with the ancient parishes of Duchoire and St Mary's to form the modern parish of Yarrow; and it then constituted the north-east and the south-east districts of that parish. Its church stood in a close-headed vale or 'hope', called from it Kirkhope, along which a rill runs to the Ettrick at Ettrick-bridge. The parish of Kirkhope was disjoined from Yarrow, and reconstituted into a separate parish in 1852." from the Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland, edited by John Marius Wilson, 1868.
View a Map of the Area.
See also Yarrow parish.
Selkirkshire Antiquarian Society has published a CD containing transcripts and digital photographs of gravestones in Kirkhope Cemetery (Ettrickbridge).
Graham and Emma Maxwell have transcribed and indexed the 1861 census returns for this parish.
The parish church (Church of Scotland) has registers dating from 1852. Old Parish Registers (before 1855) are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and copies on microfilm may be consulted in local libraries and in LDS Family History Centres around the world. Later parish registers (after 1855) are often held in the National Records of Scotland as are any records of non-conformist churches in the area (often unfilmed and unindexed, and only available there).
The Ettrick and Yarrow Valleys website includes information about the local history as well as tourist information, photographs etc.
Ordnance Survey maps covering Kirkhope include:
Kirkhope is also covered by two reprinted one-inch to the mile Victorian Ordnance Survey maps. These are published by Caledonian Maps. The maps covering Kirkhope are:
Here are some statistics showing the parish's population through time:
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.