"BRESSAY, an island parish in the Shetland Islands, Scotland, situated E. of the mainland, and opposite to Lerwick, its post town. It comprises the islands of Bressay, Burra, Quarff, and Noss. The island of Bressay, about 5 miles long by 3 broad, is separated from the mainland by Bressay Sound, a spacious sheltered bay and harbour, with excellent anchorage, the resort of many vessels engaged in the whale and herring fisheries. In 1653 a fleet of 94 sail, under the command of Deans and Monk, and in 1665, another fleet of 92 men-of-war, under the Earl of Sandwich, found shelter in this bay, which is nearly landlocked. It has two entrances, one from the north, the other from the south. Outside the north entrance there is a sunken rock, called the Unicorn."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Bressay from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.