"DELTING, a parish on the mainland of Shetland, in the county of Orkney and Shetland, Scotland. It is situated in the E. of the island, and is bounded on the N. by Yell Sound, on the E. by Nesting and Lunnasting, on the S. by Weesdale and Sandsting, and on the W. by Salemvoe and St. Magnus Bay. It is very much intersected by arms of the sea, and is some 14 miles in length by 4 in average breadth. The surface is for the most part hilly and barren, but oats and barley are raised near the coast. The chief occupation is fishing. The two islands of Muckle Roe and Little Roe belong to this parish. There are seven landowners, and the chief mansions are those of Garth, Busta, Mossbank, and Ullhouse. This parish is in the presbytery of Burravoe, and synod of Shetland, and in the patronage of the Earl of Zetland. The minister has a stipend of £151. There are two parish churches, one in the S., the other in the N. of the parish, and there is also a Free church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Delting from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.