"LERWICK, a parish and post town situated on the mainland or largest island of the Shetland group, Scotland. The parish is 6 miles long, and does not exceed a mile in breadth. Its eastern coast, with the opposite island of Bressay, forms the spacious harbour called Bressay, or Lerwick Sound, which is a good anchoring ground. The surface is hilly and rocky, and consists for the most part of peat or moss. Old Red sandstone is quarried. The parish is the seat of a presbytery in the synod of Shetland. The minister's stipend is £158. The United Presbyterians, the Free Church, the Independents, and the Methodists have each a place of worship. At Gulberwick are the ruins of several chapels. There are the remains of a Pictish castle near the town. Sir A. Nicholson of Gremista is the chief landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Lerwick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.