Miscellaneous - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"CROSS ISLAND, one of the South Shetland Isles, situated in Queendale Bay, Scotland. There is also a small island of the same name in Lough Strangford, in the county of Down, Ireland."

"EAGLESHAY, (or Egilshay), one of the islands of the Shetland group, lying on the E. of St. Magnus Bay, in Iselsburgh Cove. It is about 1 a mile square. Here are extensive rabbit warrens. This island is included in the parish of Northmavine."

"FISHHOLM ISLAND, one of the Shetland group, Scotland. It stands 3 miles S. of Yell, and is included in the parish of Delting."

"FOULA, (or Fowla), one of the islands in the Shetland group, Scotland. It is included within the parish of Walls, and lies 20 miles S.W. of Sandness. It is 3 miles long by 2 wide, with a hilly surface rising in places to the height of 1,350 feet. This island is supposed to be the Roman Ultima Thule. The hills afford good pasturage. Swarms of sea-fowl inhabit the rugged coast. The fishing village of Ham on the E. side is the only accessible point on the island.

"GARDERHOUSE, the seat of a post-office, situated near Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland."

"HAGRASETER VOE, an islet of the Shetland group, off the coast of Scotland, 20 miles N.W. of Lerwick. It is situated on the S. side of Yell Sound."

"HARASITER, a good harbour in Yell Sound, North Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland."

"HAROLDSWICK, the seat of a post-office in the Island of Unst, North Shetlands, coast of Scotland. It is situated on a bay of the same name."

"HASCUSSAY, (or Hascosea), an island of the North Shetland Isles, off the coast of Scotland. It lies between Yell and Fetlar, and is about 2 miles in length."

"HAVERA, an islet of the Shetland group, off the coast of Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Lerwick."

"HAVERY, several small islands of the Shetland group, off the N. coast of Scotland. They are situated in Scalloway Bay, near the mouth of Cliff Sound."

"HELDAZAY, (or Hildasay), one of islands of the Shetland Isles, N.E. coast of Scotland. It lies in Scalloway Bay, 9 miles W. of Lerwick."

"HOUSE, a small island of the Shetland group, Scotland. It is artificially connected to Barra, and belongs to the parish of Bressay."

"HUNIE, one of the Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland. It is situated on the E. side of Unst, and is full of rabbit warrens."

"LAMBA, an islet in Yell Sound, North Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Northmavine."

"LINGA, one of the islands of the Shetland group, coast of Scotland, 3 miles S. of Yell. It measures about 2 miles in length."

"LITTLEROE, a small island lying off the W. coast of the mainland of Shetland, coast of Scotland. It is in the parish of Delting, and is occupied by one family"

"MAINLAND OF SHETLAND, the largest island of the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Its parishes, though in most instances including adjacent minor islands, are Aithsting and Sandsting, Bressay, Burra and Tuarff, Dolting, Dunrossness, Lerwick, Nesting, Limnasting and Whelsay, Northmavine, Tingwall, Whiteness and Weesdale, and Walls and Sandness. It is 60 miles in length, and its breadth varies from 3 to 10 miles, save at one point, called Mavis Grind, in Hagraster Voe, where it is only 100 yards broad. No part of the island is more than 3 miles from the sea.

The coast, which is very irregular, consists of high rugged cliffs, deep inlets, or woes, and large caves. The surface is a succession of desolate hills and mosses, with a green hollow here and there, and attains a height of 1,500 feet at Rona, or Roeness Mountain. In the S. clay slate prevails, in the middle gneiss, in the N. greenstone and granite. But sandstone and many other specimens of rocks and minerals are found, as asbestos, garnet, copper and iron ores, &c."

"MEIKLE-ROE, one of the Shetland islands, coast of Scotland. It is in the parish of Delting, and is about 2 miles in circumference. It is situated S.E. of St. Magnus Bay."

"MICKLE-ROOE, one of the Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland. It is in the parish of Delting, and in the vicinity of St. Magnus Bay, off Rooe Sound. It extends 3 miles in length by 2 in breadth. There are numerous caves along the shore."

"MULL-OF-ESWICK, a rock outside Catfrith Voe, East Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland, 7 miles N. by E. of Lerwick."

"NOSS ISLAND, one of the Shetland group, coast of Scotland. It is situated on the E. side of Brassay Island, and is only accessible by means of lopes passed from the opposite cliffs of Brassay."

"OLLABERRY, in the Shetland Islands, Scotland, was formerly a separate ancient parish, but is now united with Northmavine."

"OSSA SHERRY, an islet in the Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland, 3 miles N.W. of Eshaness."

"POOL BAY, a fishing station in the South Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland, 4 miles N. of Sumburgh Head."

"QUENDAL VOE, a harbour in the most southerly part of the Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It is situated between Fitful and Sumburgh Heads, about 24 miles S.W. of Lerwick."

"REAFIRTH, a voe or sea loch on the inside of Hascosay Island, North Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland."

"RUMBLE, a small island, one of the Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland, 8 miles N.E. of the Mull of Eswick."

"SANDWICK AND CONINGSBURGH, a quoad sacra parish in the southern part of the Mainland, county Orkney and Shetland, Scotland, 14 miles S.W. of Lerwick. It is situated near Sandwick Bay, which has 7 fathoms water, but is exposed to the E. winds. It is in the presbytery of Lerwick, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is 120. The church is a government one erected in 1807. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. There are a parochial school and a library."

"SKAW HOLM, (or Outstack Rock), a small islet forming one of the North Shetland group, coast of Scotland. It lies to the N. of Unst, and is the most northerly point of the British Isles."

"ST. MAGNUS BAY, on the W. coast of the mainland of Shetland, Scotland. It is 8 miles deep and 10 long from Sandaness to Eshaness. It contains many woes, or harbours, with good anchorage, particularly Olna Frith, Hillswick, Unzie Frith, and Gron Frith Voe."

"ST. NINIAN'S, (or St. Ronan's), an islet in Scalloway Bay, forming one of the South Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland, 3 miles N.W. of Dunrossness."

"STOURHOLM, one of the Shetland group of islands, coast of Scotland, 2 miles W. of Yell, in Yell Sound."

"STROMNESS VOE, a loch on the N. side of Scalloway Bay, Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland."

"SUMBURGH, a promontory, the most southerly point of the Shetland Islands, Scotland. It is marked by a lighthouse 300 feet above sea-level, put up in 1821."

"SWINANESS, a headland on the N. side of Balta Sound, Shetland Islands, Scotland."

"UYA, an island in county Orkney and Shetland, Scotland. It is situated between Unst and Yell islands, in Uya Sound, and has a harbour. It extends in length about 1 mile by 1 in breadth."

"VAKEY, an islet: one of the Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland, near Linga Island. It has a safe harbour, and gives name to a sound on the W. side of the Shetland group."

"VEMENTRY, an islet, one of the Shetland group, county Orkney and Shetland, Scotland, 3 miles E. of Papastour. It is situated on the S. side of St. Magnus Bay, on Eye Sound, which separates it from the mainland. The island measures about 5 miles in circumference, and is inhabited by one family."

"VEMENTRY, an islet, one of the Shetland group, county Orkney and Shetland, Scotland, 3 miles E. of Papastour. It is situated on the S. side of St. Magnus Bay, on Eye Sound, which separates it from the mainland. The island measures about 5 miles in circumference, and is inhabited by one family."

"VIE SKERRIES, a group of small islets off St. Magnus Bay, Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland."

"WHALSAY, an island belonging to the Shetland group, county Orkney and Shetland, Scotland, 3 miles E. of the mainland of Shetland. It extends in length about 5 miles, with a breadth varying from a few furlongs to 2 miles. The surface is uneven, but for the most part in an excellent state of cultivation. The coast, which is rocky, is indented by creek and headland. The rocks are of a magnetic nature, inasmuch as the compasses of vessels are affected on approaching the island. Whalsay, with several neighbouring islets, once formed a parish, but now forms part of that of Nesting."

"WHELSAY, one of the Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland, 6 miles S.E. of the Out Skerries, and 3 E. of Mainland. It was formerly a parish, but is now joined to Nesting."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)