NORTH YELL - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"NORTH YELL, a parish in the Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It comprises the northern portion of the island of Yell, with the island of Feltar, besides numerous small islets in Colgrave and Yell sounds. It is a mountainous district, chiefly sheepwalks, with remains of Picts' houses and Danish forts along the coasts. The cliffs on the W., with the islets adjoining, are frequented by swarms of sea-fowl, terns, eider-ducks, and other Arctic species, while the narrow seas or sounds, called Blumel, Colgrave, and Yell sounds, abound in herrings, sillocks, and ca'ing whales. The parish is in the presbytery of Burra-voe. The minister's stipend is £160, with manse.
"REDFIRTH, an ancient parish, now joined to North Yell, Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It gives name to a voe or loch on the E. side of Yell Island."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]