WALLS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WALLS, (and Sandness) a parish in the Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It comprises the districts of Walls and Sandness on the mainland, and the islands of Foula, Papa Stour, Vaila, and Linga, extending in length about 7½ miles from N. to S., with a breadth of 5 miles. The surface is irregular, and the coast-line rocky, rising in many parts 100 feet above sea-level. Along the shore are Gruting, and other voes or inlets, where fish and wild fowl are caught. The rocks consist of gneiss, granitic porphyry, quartz, and Old Red sandstone. A thousand acres or upwards are under tillage. The village of Walls is about 15 miles W. of Lerwick, and is situated between St. Magnus and Scalloway bays. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries. This parish is in the presbytery of Olnafirth and synod of Shetland. The stipend of the minister is about £158. There are four parochial churches, viz:, Walls, Sandness, Papa Stour, and Foula -the first was erected in 1748. The Independents have chapels, situated respectively at Walls and Sandness. There are three Society schools."
"KIRKSANDS POINT, a promontory in the island of Papastour, and parish of Walls, Shetland Islands, coast of Scotland. It lies on the S. side of Magus Bay, and is celebrated for the beautiful spars and crystals found in the rock, which is dark clay-stone."
"SANDNESS, a district in the parish of Walls in the Mainland, county Orkney and Shetland Islands, Scotland, 3 miles S. of Papa Stour. It is situated on the W. side of the Mainland, and on the S. coast of St. Magnus barony Sandness is often called Sannes, and derives its name from the headland of Sandness, which flanks the S. side of the entrance of Papa Sound. It was formerly a separate parish, but is now in conjunction with the parish of Walls. The village is about 6 miles distant from the church at Walls, but Divine service is performed here once a month. There is a charity school."
"VAILA, an island in the parish of Walls, county Orkney and Shetland Islands, Scotland, 3½ miles N.W. of Skelderness. It is situated on Vaila Sound, near Grueting Voe, and is about 4 miles in circumference. The island is wholly the property of Scott, of Melby and Vaila House."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]