"YELL, (Middle and South) a united parish in the island of Yell, Shetland Isles, coast of Scotland. It comprises the post-office stations of East Yell and Burra-voe, the isles of Hascussay, Samphrey, and the middle and southern portions of the island of Yell. The parish extends 13¼ miles N. and S. in length, with an extreme breadth of 7 miles, including a large extent of water, which is intimately mingled with the land. The chief portion of the land is in pasture and unenclosed moorland. On the W. side of the island of Yell the shores are rocky, but on the E. low and sandy. Traces of copper ore have been found in the serpentine rocks. Most of the inhabitants unite the occupations of farmers and fishermen, and within the last quarter of a century sheep-farming has been successfully introduced. The living of the united parishes of Middle and South Yell is in the presbytery of Burra-voe.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Yell from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.