"Situation - The parish and barony is a part of the county of Stirling, although it happens to be totally disjoined from every part of it. No certain account can be given, how this has happened. It is surrounded by the shire of Clackmannan on the east, south and west, and on the north, it is bounded by a part of the county of Perth. It extends in length, from east to west, somewhat more than two miles and a half; and from south to north, rather more than four miles."
Parish of Alva (County of Stirling) by the Rev. Mr. John Duncan (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
An adjustment was made by the Boundary Commission in 1891.
Previously the county (Clackmannanshire)contained four
parishes: Alloa, Clackmannan, Dollar and Tillicoultry and portions of
Logie and Stirling. The Clackmannanshire portion of Stirling parish was
transferred to Stirlingshire. The Clackmannan portion of Logie parish was
divided into three parts. One was transferred to the Stirlingshire parish
of Logie; a second was united with the parish of Alva, which was wholly
given to Clackmannanshire; while the third part was absorbed by the parish
[Clackmannan and Kinross by J.P.Day B.A. B Sc., 1915 ]
See also the GENUKI / Clackmannanshire web-site for more on Alva.
- The transcription of the section for Alva from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.