"Situation and Surface" - It is situated within the county of Stirling, in the presbytery of Dunbarton, and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. The surface is various. On the South, where it is bounded by the river Kelvin, there are six or seven hundred acres of rich flat land. The innundations of this river frequently blasted the hopes of the husbandman, by damaging, or sweeping away his luxuriant crops. To prevent such disasters, the proprietors, about 16 or 18 years ago, united is raising a bank upon the brink of the river: but there are seasons still, when it breaks over, or bursts through its barriers, to resume for a little its former desolating sway. From North to South there is a gradual ascent, pleasantly diverisified by round swelling hills. The flat ground, before mentioned, is a rich loam; the rising grounds towards the East, are a clayey soil over till; and those towards the West, a light sharp soil over whin rock. On the North side there is some moorish ground, but the greater part of the parish is arable. Towards the South West lyes Bardowie Loch, covering about 70 acres. In it are plenty of pike and perch, of good size and quality. The banks are pleasant, upon which is situated the house of Bardowie, within a few paces of the lake."
Parish of Baldernock (Presbytery of Dunbarton, County of Stirling, Synod of Glasgow and Ayr) By the Rev. Mr. James Cooper, Minister (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
(See also Tom Paterson's transcription of the "New Statistical Account of 1841".
- The transcription of the section for Baldernock from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.