BALFRON - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BALFRON, a parish in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 14 miles to the W. of Stirling. It is a station on the Stirling and Balloch branch railway. It lies on the banks of the river Endrick, which falls into Loch Lomond, and is bounded on the E. by the Campsie hills. There is abundance of limestone in the district. The village is built on a hillside open to the south, and commands a view over the winding river and its wooded borders, the Lennox Fells, and the grand peaks of Benledi, Benmore, Benlomond, and others in the distance. The population are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture at the Ballindalloch Mills, which were established in 1780, by Mr. Dumore. The living, value £157, is in the presbytery of Dumbarton, and in the patronage of the Earl of Kinnoul. The parish has an area of about 12 square miles."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003