"Bannockburn, a town and a quoad sacra parish, in the civil parish of St Ninians, Stirlingshire. The town is ½ mile W of Bannockburn station on the Caledonian railway, this being 2½ miles SSE of Stirling; by the Bannock rivulet it is cut into two parts, Upper and Lower Bannockburn. Only a village at the commencement of the present century, it has grown to a town through its manufactures - the spinning, dyeing, and weaving of carpets, tweeds, tartans, and kiltings. There now are two large and two smaller woollen works, which together employ between 700 and 800 hands, consume above 1,000,000 lbs. of wool per annum, and produce goods to a yearly value of £150,000. There is also a tannery; a cattle and horse fair is held on the third Tuesday of June; and in the neighbourhood five collieries were working in 1879, Bannockburn, Cowie, East Plean, Greenyards, and West Plean, all of them belonging to the Carboniferous Limestone series. Bannockburn has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, two hotels, an Established church (c. 1838), a Free church (c. 1844), a U.P. church (1797), and a public school and Wilson's Academy, which, with respective accommodation for 270 and 236 children, had (1879) an average attendance of 169 and 132, and grants of £169, 3s. 6d. and £105,3s. In the presbytery of Stirling and synod of Perth and Stirling, the quoad sacra parish was constituted about 1838 by the ecclesiastical, reconstituted by the legal authorities in 1868; its minister's stipend is £150. Pop. of q. s. parish (1871) 3332; of registration district (1881) 4331; of town (1841) 2205, (1851) 2627, (1861) 2258, (1871) 2564, (1881) 3374."
Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and published in parts by Thomas C. Jack 1882-1885
For the full version of the above extract see Edinburgh University's "Gazetteer for Scotland"
Despite the quotation above from the 'Ordnance Gazetteer' (1882-1885) that the parish was consituted in "about 1838" parish records exist only for the years 1872 - 1909. Prior to this the parish was part of the parish of St.Ninians.
Bannockburn of course is famous for the great battle fought there in 1314 when Robert the Bruce defeated Edward II of England which guaranteed independence for Scotland until 'the Union of the Crowns'. See the "Battle of Bannockburn" website run by the National Trust.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.