"Situation, Extent, &c. The writer of this account has not been able to discover the origin of the name Bothkennar. This parish is situated in that track of country commonly called the Carse of Falkirk; is about a mile and a half in length, and nearly of equal breadth. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Airth; on the west, by the parish of Larbert; on the south, by the parishes of Falkirk and Polmont; and on the east, by the river Forth. It seems antiently to have been bounded on the south by the river Carron, but that river having changed its course, now interscts both the parishes of Bothkennar and Falkirk, leaving part of the former on the South, and a small part of the latter upon the north side of it. The parish contains 96 oxgangs of land, which, at the computation of 13 acres each, amounts in whole to 1248; the yearly valuation of which, including cess, feu-duty payable to the family of Marr, and the minister's stipend, is 359 l. 12s. 6d. Scotch. The real rent of the parish cannot be exactly ascertaine, as it may vary according to the value of the ground, or the date of the leases; at a minimum, it may be reckoned at least at 2 l. 5s. per acre, which would amount to 2808 l. Sterling; and when the price of grain is high, it may be considerably more."
Parish of Bothkennar (County and Presbytery of Stirling - Synod of Perth and Stirling) By the Rev. Mr. David Dickson, Minister.(Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
(See also Tom Paterson's transcription of the "New Statistical Account of 1841")
- The transcription of the section for Bothkennar from the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.