BUCHANAN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BUCHANAN, a parish in the county of Stirling, Scotland, near Drymen. It comprises an extensive mountain district on the eastern shore of Loch Lomond, and is bounded on the S. by the river Endrick. The district is easily accessible by means of the steamers that ply on Loch Lomond. The surface rises at Ben Lomond to the height of 3,193 feet. Limestone abounds in the parish The living, worth £157, is in the presbytery of Dumbarton, in the gift of the Duke of Montrose. On the margin of the loch is Buchanan House, the old seat of the Buchanans, now that of the Duke of Montrose. At the northern extremity of the parish is the fort of Inversnaid. A nunnery formerly existed on Inchcailloch, an island in Loch Lomond. The parish extends about 18 miles in length and 4 in breadth."
"DUCHRAY, a river rising in the parish of Buchanan, in the county of Stirling, Scotland.*It rises near Ben Lomond, and joins the Forth at Aberfoyle."
"INCH-CAILLIACH, a small island lying in Loch Lomond, in the parish of Buchanan, county Stirling, Scotland, near the embouchure of the river Endrick. Its surface consists generally of good land. A nunnery formerly stood here occupied by elderly women, hence the name of the islet. It was also the site of the church and burial-ground of the ancient parish of Inch-Cailliach."
"INCH-TORR, a small island in Loch Lomond, county Stirling, Scotland, forms part of the parish of Buchanan."
"INVERSNAID, a hamlet and seat of a post-office in the parish of Buchanan, county Stirling, Scotland. It is situated near the E. shore of Loch Lomond, and is a station on the Loch Lomond branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway; it has a ferry station for crossing the loch. A fort was erected here and garrisoned in the time of George the II. for the quelling of the Highlanders. It was sometime the quarters of Wolfe, afterwards General Wolfe, who fell at Quebec, but is now out of use as a military station."
"LOCH KATRINE, a lake of the Highlands, in the parish of Buchanan, county Stirling, lying along the border of the parishes of Aberfoil and Callander, county Perth, Scotland. It is 10 miles long by 1 mile broad. The beautiful scenery of this district has been described to the world by Sir Walter Scott in "The Lady of the Lake.""
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]