CAMPSIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CAMPSIE, a parish in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 4 miles to the N. of Glasgow. A branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway has its terminus at Lennoxtown, the largest village in this parish. The parish is situated in the district called the Lennox, on the northern banks of Kelvin Water, and contains the villages of Lennoxtown, Milton, and Torrance, with part of Claehan. The surface is hilly, rising at Campsie Fells to the height of 1,500 feet. These fells form the central and loftiest part of a detached range of hills extending through Stirlingshire in a south-westerly direction into Dumbartonshire, the extremities of the range being marked by the castles of Stirling and Dumbarton. Coal, limestone, and ironstone are found in the parish. Alum, copperas, Prussian blue, and prussiate of potash are manufactured here. The inhabitants are employed in the mines and print-works. The chief buildings are-Lennox Castle, a fine modern specimen of the baronial Gothic; the parish church, an elegant and spacious edifice, seated for nearly 2,000 hearers; and the Oswald school, a pretty cruciform building, belonging to the kirk session. The living, worth £400, is in the presbytery of Glasgow, and in the patronage of the crown. There are also places of worship belonging to the Roman Catholics and the United Presbyterians. There are remains of two ancient forts. The parish extends about 6 miles in length and the same in breadth."
"AUCHTERMONEY, a village in the parish of Campsie, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles from Kirkintilloch."
"BIRDSTONE, a village in the parish of Campsie, Stirlingshire, Scotland."
"CLACHAN, a village in the parish of Campsie and Fintray, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles S. of Fintray."
"HAUGH-HEAD, a post-office village in the parish of Campsie, county Stirling, Scotland, 5 miles W. of Kilsyth."
"HAYSTON, a village in the parish of Campsie, county Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles from Kirkintilloch."
"LENNOXTOWN, a post-office village in the parish of Campsie, county Stirling, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Fintry. It is the terminus of the Campsie branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow railway. The village, which is situated under the Lennox hills, is very considerable, and is chiefly inhabited by calico-printers and colliers. In the vicinity are extensive lime and alum works. It is a polling-place for the county, and the seat of a small-debts court."
"MILTON, a village in the parish of Campsie, county Stirling, Scotland, 4 miles N.W. of Kirkintilloch, and 2 S. of Lennoxtown. It has a station on the Campsie railway. It is situated on the southern border of the parish, and is a missionary station under a minister of the Established Kirk."
"TORRANCE, a village in the parish of Campsie, county Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles W. of Kirkintilloch, and 3 S. of Lennoxtown. There are an established mission station, and a parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]