"Situation and Name - The parish of Campsie measures eight English miles in length, and seven in breadth, following the two great lines of road which intersect the parish nearly at right angles; the mean length is about six miles, and the mean breadth six containing 36 square miles; and allowing only 400 acres to every square mile, the amount will be 14400 acres; it contains 101 plough gates of land, and is valued at 6429 pound Scots. It is bounded on the North, by the parish of Fintry; on the West, by Strathblane and Baldernock; on the South by Calder and Kirkintilloch; on the East by Kilsyth; forming a distinct commissariot along with Hamilton, stiled the commissariot of Hamilton and Campsie.
It is presumed, that the winding appearance of the strath in general, and particularly of the glens near which the parish church is situated, has given rise to the name Campsie, or Camsi, which in the Celtic language, is said to signify crooked Strath or Glen. Of course, the Clachan of Campsie, is, the place of worship of the crooked glens.
Indeed, if we attend carefully to the appearance which this district presents to those who view it from any of the neighbouring stations, particularly the bending of the hills in the form of an amphitheatre, above the village of Clachan, from which five streams, pouring down from five winding glens form the water of Glazert, this etymology of Campsie will not appear unnatural."
Parish of Campsie (Presbytery of Glasgow, Synod of Glasgow and Ayr, County of Stirling) By the Rev. Mr. James Lapslie, Minister (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
(See also Tom Paterson's transcription of the "New Statistical Account of 1841")
- The transcription of the section for Campsie from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
A little more of the history of the parish can be found at 'electricscotland' web-site as an extract from the History of Stirlingshire.
See too The History of Lennoxtown.