"FINTRY, (said to mean "Fairland," or "Happy Valley"), a parish and post village, county Stirling, Scotland, in the presbytery of Dumbarton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr, about 10 miles S.W. of Stirling, and 45 from Edinburgh. Population last census, 686. The area is about 20 square miles, and is chiefly hill pasture, though the lowlands are fertile; climate humid, but mild in winter. The river Endrick gives its name to the valley, and runs from N.E. to S.W., discharging its waters into Loch Lomond. There is a fine fall of about 90 feet high. The Carron river rises in this parish, and both streams abound in trout. The minister has a stipend of £155. Buchanan Castle is the seat of the Duke of Montrose, who is principal proprietor. There is a free school. The church was built in 1822. The population is chiefly in the village of Newton of Fintry, situated on the S. bank of the Endrick. Other hamlets have only a house or two. There is a cotton factory and Friendly society. The "Dun" near the church has fine basaltic columns (hexagonal). No minerals are worked in this parish, though silver formerly was. There are traces of coal in very thin seams. The principal mansion-house in the parish is Culcreuch House, the residence of Alexander Graham Speirs, Esq., convener of the county. From different parts of Culcreuch pleasure-grounds, grand views of the surrounding mountain and lake scenery are to be had. The parish gives the title of baron to the Montrose family. Cattle are the chief productions, and all trees seem to thrive well. The boundaries of the parish are-St. Ninian's, Kilsyth, Campsie, Killearn, Balfron, and Gargunnock."
"FINTRY-CLACHAN, a village in the parish of Fintry, county Stirling, Scotland."
"GONOCHAN, a village in the parish of Fintry, county Stirling, Scotland, 10 miles S.W. of Stirling. It is situated under the Campsie hills, on Gonochan burn, a tributary to Endrick water."
"NEWTOWN, a village in the parish of Fintry, county Stirling, Scotland, near Fintry, and 12 miles S.W. of Stirling. It is situated under the Campsie Fells at the sources of the Enrick and Carron rivers."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003