GARGUNNOCK - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GARGUNNOCK, a parish and post town in the county Stirling, Scotland, 6 miles W. of Stirling, and 41 from Edinburgh. It is a station on the Stirling and Balloch branch of the Forth and Clyde railway, and lies along the S. shore of the river Forth, not far from Offer Bridge: it is otherwise bordered by the parishes of St. Ninian's, Fintry, Balfron, and Kippen. It is 6 miles long and 4 broad. The surface, which was formerly covered by a forest, consists largely of moor and carse land. The glen of Boquhan, within the limits, possesses some striking points of beauty. This parish is in the presbytery of Stirling and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister has a stipend of £155. The church was built in 1774. Here is a Free church, parochial and private schools, and a parish library. Gargunnock House, Boquhan, and Micklewood, are the principal residences. Near the banks of the Forth, at Fewsford, stood the "Peel of Gargunnock," taken from the English by William Wallace. On the southern skirts of the village are the traces of a rampart called the Kier Hill, where Wallace is supposed to have posted himself. Numerous relies and bones were turned up some years ago on the Boquhan estate, supposed to have been of those who fell at the battle of Ballochleam, which was fought in this parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]