KILLEARN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILLEARN, a parish and post-office village in county Stirling, Scotland, 7 miles W. of Fintry. The parish is 12 miles long, with an average breadth of 2. Its boundaries are county Dumbarton and the parishes of Drymen, Balfron, Fintry, and Strathblane. The river Endrick flows along part of the northern and western boundaries, and joins the Blane. This parish is in the presbytery of Dumbarton, and synod of Glasgow amid Ayr. The minister has a stipend of £152. The church was built in 1826. There are two Free churches and three private schools within the parish. The principal residences are Killearn House, erected in 1688 by the Montrose family, to whom the greater part of the parish anciently belonged, Ballikinrain, Boguhan, and Moss. The roads from Stirling to Dumbarton, and from Balfron to Glasgow, traverse the parish; upon the latter stands the village of Killearn, containing the parish church; but the principal object of attraction is an obelisk to the memory of the great Buchanan, who was born at a farmhouse about 2 miles distant, now known as the "Moss." At Balglass there is an old residence, said to have been the retreat of Sir William Wallace; and Gartness was for some time the home of Napier of Merchiston, the eminent mathematician. A little N. of the village is the reputed scene of a battle between the Romans and Scots. This district was formerly subject to the frequent descents of Highland outlaws, who levied blackmail as late as 1743. Dualt Glen, Ashdow waterfall, and the Pot of Gartness, are very attractive features. There are ruins of the ancient church, erected in 1429. Duntreath Castle is the property of Sir A. Edmonstone, Bart. Basalt, jasper, millstone, &c., occur among the hills. The waters and streams abound in fish, and game is plentiful in the hills."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]