"This parish consists of two baronies, the east and the west. The former for many ages has been called Monaeburgh. The latter Kilsyth; but till the year 1649, it belonged to the parish of Campsie."
"Situation The whole parish is situated in the county of Stirling. But it is southermost extremity of it. The form of it is irregularoblong square, running in length along the great high way, leading from Edinburgh to Glasgow, 7 miles. The breadth is nearly one half of its length. Of course, it contains nearly 24 miles square, or about 15000 acres. The rivers Caroon on the north, and Kelvin on the south, Inchwood burn on the west, and Bush burn on the east, fromt he natural boundaries of the parish; an dit lies contiguous to Denny on the east, and Campsie on the west, to Fintry and St. Ninians on the north, and Kirkintilloch and Cumbernauld on the south. I never saw a separate map of the whole. But there is a very elegant beautiful and correct plan of the estate of Kilsyth, in the pssession of the proprietor. And in the map of Stirlingshire, in Atlas Blavania, there is a very minute and pretty accurate delineation of this parish."
Parish of Kilsyth (County of Stirling) By the Rev Mr. Robert Rennie (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
Kilsyth Community Council have a web-site which includes a page on Kilsyth History & Heritage.
- The transcription of the section for Kilsyth from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.