LOGIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"LOGIE, a parish in the counties of Clackmannan, Perth, and Stirling, Scotland, 6 miles N.W. of the town of Clackmannan. It contains the villages of Blairlogi, Bridge of Allen, Craigmill, Menstry, Causeyhead watering-place, or Airthray Wells, and the remains of Cambuskenneth Abbey. This last was founded in 1147 by David I. of Scotland, and was one of the richest monastic establishments in Scotland. Several parliaments were anciently held here. The extent of the parish is about 4 miles in length, and the same in breadth. It consists of fertile carne land. Silver and copper ores occur among the Ochils, and a copper mine was formerly worked. The boundaries of the parish are traced by the rivers Allan, Devon, and Forth. The parish is in the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling. The minister's stipend is 263. The parish church was erected in 1805. There are also in the parish two United Presbyterian and one Free church; also three non-parochial schools. Dunmyatt, one of fibs Ochil hills situated in this parish, rises to the height of 1,345 feet above sea-level. Its form is a cone, and its summit commands views over twelve counties. Under it there is a holy well. Here was interred James HI. and his queen, the former of whom was killed at Stirling in 1487. The parish enjoys ready communication by means of the Stirling and Dunfermline railway, the Scottish Central railway, and the Stirling and Granton steamers."

"BLAIR LOGIE, a village in the parish of Logie, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 3 miles from Stirling. It is seated in Glen Devon, at the foot of the Ochil Hills. Copper and barytes exist here, and were once worked. The hill, the glen, the village with its kirk, and an ancient castle near, make up a very picturesque scene."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)