"Name, Situation, Extent, &c. The parish of Polmont was disjoined from that of Falkirk in 1724. The derivation of the name is uncertain; but ine of the titles of the Duke of Hamilton, viz. Lord Polmont, is taken from it. The parish is situated in the county of Stirling, presbytery of Linlithgow, and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale. Its greatest length is 5 miles, and its breadth 2. It is intersected by the Firth of Forth on the north, and the river Avon on the east; and partly by the great canal."
Parish of Polmont (County of Stirling) By the Rev. Mr William Finlay. (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
Tom Paterson has transcribed the 1881 census entries for Polmont.
- The transcription of the section for Polmont from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
A little more of the history of the parish of Polmont can be found at 'electricscotland' web-site as an extract from the History of Stirlingshire.