SLAMANNAN - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SLAMANNAN, a parish in the county of Stirling, Scotland. It contains a village of the same name, with a station on the Monkland railway. The parish extends in length about 7 miles from E. to W. with an extreme breadth of 4½ miles, and is bounded by the counties of Linlithgow, Lanark, and Dumbarton, and by the parishes of Falkirk, Polmont, and Muiravonside. The surface is hilly, but not mountainous, rising at its highest point about 600 feet above sea-level. The lowlands on the banks of the river Avon are subject to inundation. Large tracts of land have been reclaimed. Coal and ironstone are extensively worked. The parish is traversed by the Slamanan railway. The village, which is about 5 miles S.W. of Falkirk, is situated near the Lanark border on the river Avon. This parish is in the presbytery of Linlithgow and synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £217. The parish church was erected in 1810. There is a Free church, and a parochial school. This parish was formerly named St. Laurence, after the dedication of its original church."
"LONGRIGGEN, a hamlet in the parish of Slamannan, county Stirling, Scotland, 2 miles from Slamanan, and 5 S. of Falkirk. It is a station on the Midland railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]