" Situation and Extent" - This parish lies in the shire of Stirling, and is the most southerly parish in it. Nigh the N.W. end of the parish, there is a point where the three shires of Stirling, Dunbarton and Lanark meet; and at the S.W. end, the shires of Stirling and Lanark meet with the shire of Linlithgow.. It consists of the old parish of Slamannan, and a prt annexed fromt the parish of Falkirk. The original parish of Slamannan is from 4 to 5 miles in length, and from 2 to 3 in breadth, and lies upon the fourth side of the water of Avon, which anciently separated it from the extensive parish of Falkirk, which lay upon the north of the Avon; but about the year 1730, there was a division made of the parish of Falkirk, when the whole parish of Polmont was taken off it, and also a part of it annexed to the parish of Slamannan. The part annexed to this parish lies immediately upon the north side of the river, and is nearly of the same length with the old parish, and about one mile broad; so that the present parish of Slamannan, including the annexation, will be 4 to 5 miles in length, and from 3 to 4 in breadth."
Parish of Slamannan or St. Laurence (County of Stirling, Synod of Lothian and Tweeddale, Presbytery of Linlithgow by the Rev. Mr. James MacNair. (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
Tom Paterson has transcribed the 1881 census entries for Slamannan.
- The transcription of the section for Slamannan from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
A little more of the history of the parish of Slamannan can be found at 'electricscotland' web-site as an extract from the History of Stirlingshire.
Tom Paterson has also transcribed "Slamannan Parish Through the Changing Years" - a history from the Reformation to the present day.