"Situation The parish belongs to the Synod of Perth and Stirling, and to the presbytery of Stirling. It is bounded on the east by the parish of Airth; on the south by Larbert, Dunipace, and Kilsyth; on the west, by Fintry and Gargunnock; the river Forth, if the small space occupied by the parish of Stirling be excepted, separates it on the north from Kincardine, Lecropt, Logie and Alloa.
Extent The road between Powbridge, the eastern extremity of the parish, and Randyford, the wetern extremity, measures between 15 and 16 miles: but as the figure of the parish is irregular, its extent may be computed, at a medium, about 10 miles from east to west, and about 6 miles from north to south."
Parish of St. Ninians (County of Stirling) By the Rev. Mr Sherriff. (Statistical Account of Scotland 1791-1799)
- The transcription of the section for St Ninians from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
A little more of the history of the parish of StNinians can be found at 'electricscotland' web-site as an extract from the History of Stirlingshire.
A fuller history of St. Ninians and Denny is also available.
A history of St. Ninians United Free Church from 1793 is available at the church web-site.
The Reference Library in the Central Library, Stirling houses the largest collection of family history material, including microfilmed copies of local newspapers back to 1820.