"DURNESS, a parish in the county of Sutherland, Scotland, 13 miles N.W. of Grubmore. The parish extends along the sea-coast, between Whitenhead and Cape Wrath Light, including Strathmore and Far-out Head. The coast is extremely rocky, and off the shore are the Stags Rock and Nun Shoal. In the streams salmon abound, and in Loch Borley are red trout. In 1724 the districts of Tongue and Eddrachillis were detached from this parish. It is in the presbytery of Tongue, and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The minister's stipend is £158, in the patronage of the crown. The village contains the parish church, two Free churches, and several schools. In the church is an old monument to McKay of Davock. A mile from the village there is a remarkable cavern, 100 feet wide, and, 180 to 300 feet in height, which repeats a curious echo. The Duke of Sutherland is the only landowner. Dozen, the Gaelic poet, was a native of this place."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)