"EDDRACHILLIS, a parish in county Sutherland, Scotland. Scourie is its post town. It lies open to the Atlantic on the W. coast; its inland boundaries being the parishes of Farr, Durness, Lairg, Creech, and Assynt. Its greatest length is 27 miles, its width 17 miles. The parochial limits include several islands in the vicinity. This parish is in the presbytery of Tongue, and synod of Sutherland and Caithness, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church, built in 1829, stands near the opening of Loch Inchard. Here are two Free churches, a Society school, and some private schools. This parish, once a part of Durness, is almost wholly a trackless wilderness. The Duke of Sutherland's deer forest occupies a considerable portion. Two sea-lochs indent the parish, and divide it into three districts. It was bought back into the Sutherland family in 1829 front the Mackays, who held it from the Kinnairds of Kinnaird in 1515, into which family it had passed by the Morays in 1440, Richard Moray having it from his brother, the Duke of Sutherland, the original landowner, at the end of the 12th century."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Eddrachillis from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.