We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

EDDRACHILLIS - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

"EDDRACHILLIS, a parish in county Sutherland, Scotland. Scourie is its post town. It lies open to the Atlantic on the W. coast; its inland boundaries being the parishes of Farr, Durness, Lairg, Creech, and Assynt. Its greatest length is 27 miles, its width 17 miles. The parochial limits include several islands in the vicinity. This parish is in the presbytery of Tongue, and synod of Sutherland and Caithness, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church, built in 1829, stands near the opening of Loch Inchard. Here are two Free churches, a Society school, and some private schools. This parish, once a part of Durness, is almost wholly a trackless wilderness. The Duke of Sutherland's deer forest occupies a considerable portion. Two sea-lochs indent the parish, and divide it into three districts. It was bought back into the Sutherland family in 1829 front the Mackays, who held it from the Kinnairds of Kinnaird in 1515, into which family it had passed by the Morays in 1440, Richard Moray having it from his brother, the Duke of Sutherland, the original landowner, at the end of the 12th century."

"BEN STACK, a mountain in the parish of Eddrachillis, Sutherlandshire, Scotland, 3,000 feet in height."

"GLENDHU, (or Glendow), a village in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland, 11 miles S.E. of Scourie."

"HANDA, (or Hender), an island in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland, 3 miles N.W. of Scourie. It measures about 2 miles each way, and is remarkable for its sandstone rock formation. Countless seafowl inhabit the coast."

"INCHARD, a loch in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland, near Rhiconish. It is about 5 miles in length by 3 broad."

"KEANLOCHBERVIE, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland, 9 miles N. of Scourie."

"MEALHORN, a mountain in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland. It is situated in the S.W. part of the Reay forest, and is 3,000 feet above sea level."

"MORE, (or Moir Loch), a lake in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland, 7 miles E. of Eddrachilis. It extends in length about 4½ miles, with a breadth of 1 mile. This lake never freezes."

"SCOURIE, (or Scowrie), a seaport and village in the parish of Eddrachillis, county Sutherland, Scotland, 9½ miles N.E. of Rustore, and 53 N.W. of Dornoch. It is situated on Scourie Bay, near Handa Island. The estate formerly belonged to the Mackays, of whom was Lieutenant-General Hugh Mackay, of William III.'s reign. The village contains a savings-bank, reading club, and school-house."

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003

We are looking for somebody who can help with the maintenance of this page, which currently has a status of Care and maintenance - The section has a maintainer assigned who is correcting broken links, and staying in touch with the GENUKI system administrator and Trustees but is not active in updating the section's web pages. For more information about what helping us entails, look at our help wanted page. If you would like to consider helping us then please contact David McFarlane.