"FARR, a parish and post village, in county Sutherland, Scotland, 20 miles N.W. of Kildonan. It lies between Farr and Strathy heads on the coast, and is otherwise bounded by Reay, Kildonan, Clyde, Rogart, Lairg, Eddrachillis, and Tongar. The surface is mountainous and barren, chiefly consisting of sheep-walks. The highest ground is Clebrigg Hill. The rivers Naver, Borgie, Strathy, and Loch Naver water the parish. The bays of Armadale and Sandy, and the quoad sacra parish of Strathy are included within its limits. Its length is 30 miles, and its breadth 14. This parish is in the presbytery of Tongue, and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The minister has a stipend of £167. The church was built in 1774. There is a church at Strathy, built at the expense of the government in 1826. Here are two Free churches, assembly rooms, savings-bank, Society school, and Gaelic school. The beach consists of 14 miles of rocky coast worn by the waves into caverns and hollows, in which seals are often taken. Whales have been caught off this coast."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
- The transcription of the section for Farr from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.