FARR - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"FARR, a parish and post village, in county Sutherland, Scotland, 20 miles N.W. of Kildonan. It lies between Farr and Strathy heads on the coast, and is otherwise bounded by Reay, Kildonan, Clyde, Rogart, Lairg, Eddrachillis, and Tongar. The surface is mountainous and barren, chiefly consisting of sheep-walks. The highest ground is Clebrigg Hill. The rivers Naver, Borgie, Strathy, and Loch Naver water the parish. The bays of Armadale and Sandy, and the quoad sacra parish of Strathy are included within its limits. Its length is 30 miles, and its breadth 14. This parish is in the presbytery of Tongue, and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The minister has a stipend of 167. The church was built in 1774. There is a church at Strathy, built at the expense of the government in 1826. Here are two Free churches, assembly rooms, savings-bank, Society school, and Gaelic school. The beach consists of 14 miles of rocky coast worn by the waves into caverns and hollows, in which seals are often taken. Whales have been caught off this coast."

"MEALNENION, a summit of the Benclybric range, on the border of the parishes of Lairg and Farr, county Sutherland, Scotland. It ascends in a conical form to the height of 3,200 feet above sea level."

"STRATHY, a quoad sacra parish in the parish of Farr, county Sutherland, Scotland, 7 miles N.E. of Farr. It is a populous but rural village, situated on the bank of the Strathy Water, which flows from Strathy Loch 10 miles N. to Strathy Bay. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries and others in the limestone and sandstone quarries. The quoad sacra parish of Strathy comprises the eastern portion of the parish of Farr. The living is in the presbytery of Tongue and synod of Sutherland and Caithness, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about 120. The church was erected in 1826 by a grant from the parliamentary commissioners. There is also a Free church."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)