GOLSPIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GOLSPIE, a parish and post village in the county Sutherland, Scotland, 7 miles N. of Dornock, containing the village of Bachie. It is situated on the coast at Golspie burn, and not far from Little Ferry. It is 8 miles long, and its greatest breadth is 6 miles. The surface is hilly, the principal summits being Ben-a-Bhragidh, 1,300 feet; Ben Horn, 1,712; and Ben Lundie, 1,464. Four small lochs lie within the limits. The glen of Dunrobin traverses the interior. This parish, formerly called Culmallie, is in the presbytery of Dornoch and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The minister has a stipend of £205. The church was erected in 1738. Here are a Free church, school, reading-room, and library, all standing in the village, a place of-some importance recently grown out of a poor hamlet. It contains two banks, insurance agencies, &c., and carries on a brisk trade. Dunrobin Castle is the magnificent seat of the Duke of Sutherland, the sole landowner. A conflict took place here in 1746, when the adherents of Charles Stuart were defeated. An ancient chapel existed in former times near where the obelisk now stands. There are remains of a Pictish fort. White and red sandstone and slate are quarried. Fairs are held in May and October."
"BACHIE'S, a village in the parish of Golspie, in the county of Sutherland, Scotland, 6 miles to the N. of Dornoch. It is on the coast of Dornoch Frith."
"BEN ABHRAGIDH, a mountain in the parish of Golspie, county of Sutherland, Scotland, near Dunrobin Castle, 1,300 feet above the sea."
"BEN HORN, a mountain in the parish of Golspie, Sutherlandshire, Scotland, 1,712 feet in height."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]