"KILDONAN, a parish in county Sutherland, Scotland, containing the post village of Helmsdale. It is about 25 miles long, and its extreme breadth is 16. The parish is bounded by the county of Caithness, the ocean, and the parishes of Clyne, Loth, Farr, and Reay. The surface is generally mountainous. The best arable land is found in the Strath of Kildonan and the valley of the river Helmsdale. Several small lakes, abounding with fish, and numerous burns, diversify the interior. The latter give name to the straths Iligh, Frigh, Tilney, and Beg. This parish is in the presbytery of Dornoch, and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church has been lately built at Helmsdale, where there is also a Free church. In the village are three public schools, besides several schools about the parish. The district is subject to destructive floods. There are several Pictish forts, tumuli, and cairns at Suinalhugh. At this last named spot the Danish in-' vaders Suenus and Aulver Roster fought in the 12th century. Sheep breeding is extensively carried on, and game is abundant."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Kildonan from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.