Stranraer Parish Records


Business and Commerce Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Numerous papers concerning businesses in Stranraer are to be found in Court of Sesion records and the records of dissolved companies. They can be found by searching the National Records of Scotland catalogue for "Stranraer" and reference starts "CS" or reference starts "BT2".

At the Ewart Library, Dumfries:

At the Scottish Screen Archive:

At the Stranraer Museum:

Return to top of page

Church History

Prior to the reformation there existed at Stranraer a Chapel dedicated to St John and in the year 1600 the General Assembly sanctioned the founding of a parish for the district. It wasn't until 1622 however, and the erection of the Presbytery of Stranraer that the Parish of Stranraer came into being. In 1722 the Heritors built a new parish church, which in turn was replaced towards the end of the 19th cent and which later fell into a ruinous state. The kirk session sat within the Presbytery of Stranraer until 1963 when, by Act of Assembly, the Presbytery of Wigtown and the Presbytery of Stranraer were united together under the name of the Presbytery of Wigtown and Stranraer.
Due to the loss of the early minutes of the Antiburgher Presbytery of Glasgow, the early beginnings of this congregation cannot be traced however the first recorded notice of the Antiburgher Congregation of Stranraer Ivy Place appears in 1757 and James Douglas, the first minister of the congregation was ordained in 1759. In 1847 Stranraer Ivy Place Antiburgher Church became part of the United Presbyterian Church. Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, Stranraer Ivy Place U.P. became Stranraer Ivy Place United Free Church and in 1927 a union was established with the congregation of Stranraer St Mark's, to form the charge of Stranraer St Andrew's United Free Church. Upon the 1929 union between the United Free Church of Scotland and the Free Church of Scotland, Stranraer St Andrew's U.F. became Stranraer St Andrew's Church of Scotland and in 1982 the congregation was linked with that of Inch. The linked congregation of Stranraer St Andrew's remains active today, under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Wigtown and Stranraer.
Stranraer, Bellevilla (Burgher) United Secession Church originated with a petition for sermon to the Burgher Presbytery of Glasgow in 1793 from a group in Stranraer, the remnant of Seceders who had broken with an Antiburgher congregation in the town over the 'Lifter' question. The first minister was ordained in 1799. The congregation passed to the United Presbyterian Church and united with Stranraer Bridge Street UP as Stranraer West UP. This passed successively to the United Free Church, as Stranraer St Ninian's, and to the Church of Scotland. The UFC charge was in the presbytery of Wigtown and Stranraer and the synod of Dumfries and Galloway.
Stranraer Free Church was formed at the Disruption, with a church building erected the following year. It passed to the United Free Church as Stranraer St Mark's, which united with Stranraer Ivy Place as Stranraer St Andrew's in 1926. The UFC charge was in the presbytery of Wigtown and Stranraer and the synod of Dumfries and Galloway.
Church built c.1824.
see under Leswalt
see under Leswalt
Since the beginning of the 19th cent, the Bible Society within Scotland has been actively involved in translation, publication and distribution of the Scriptures, indeed in the second half of the century Scottish missionaries were pioneer in helping distribute the bible in Asia and Africa, and the first bible to be printed in a Nigerian Language was published in Scotland. In 1819 it was proposed that an auxiliary branch of the National Bible Society be set up within Stranraer, which would work alongside, and share the same objectives as the Edinburgh Bible Society, which had been established in 1809, followed a number of years later in 1812 by the Glasgow bible society. Initially the main body incorporating each regional society was the British and Foreign Bible Society however by 1926 the Glasgow and Edinburgh Societies, and many other Scottish auxiliaries, had disassociated themselves, and it followed that in 1861 the National Bible Society of Scotland came into being. The society remains active today and has in recent years changed its name to the Scottish Bible Society.
Return to top of page

Church Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the National Records of Scotland: At the National Records of Scotland and on the ScotlandsPeople website:
Return to top of page

Correctional Institutions

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Stranraer Museum:

Return to top of page

Court Records

At the Stranraer Museum:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Heritors' Records

None known.
Return to top of page

Land & Property

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Dumfries and Galloway Archives, Dumfries:

At the Stranraer Museum:

Return to top of page

Manor and Estate Records

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Some estate papers can be found by searching the National Records of Scotland catalogue for "Stranraer" and reference starts "GD". Collections particularly worth searching are:

Return to top of page

Merchant Marine Records

At the Ewart Library, Dumfries:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

See also Customs Records.

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law (Parochial Board / Parish Council Records)

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Ewart Library, Dumfries:

Return to top of page

School Records

At the Ewart Library, Dumfries:

Return to top of page

Social Life and Customs

At the Ewart Library, Dumfries:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Taxation

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

At the Stranraer Museum:

Return to top of page

Town Records

At the Stranraer Museum:

At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

At the Stranraer Museum:

Return to top of page

Data provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)